Monday, June 20, 2011
Jelly Roll Placemat Pattern
For 4 placemats you will need a minimum of thirteen jelly roll strips (if you'd like to make your placemats even cuter and scrappier...cut 18 jelly roll strips in half and use 9 of those half strips along with 4 full-sized strips). You will also need 1/2 yard for binding the four placemats and 1/2 yard to back them (or use one fat quarter to back each placemat). If you would like to add ric rac trim down the sides, then also get 3 yards of 5/8" ric rac. Your finished placemats will measure 12 1/2" x 16 1/2" finished.
1. If you are using 9 whole strips, begin by cutting them into 18 half strips (if you are using the 18 half strips cut from 18 different whole strips then this step is already completed).
2. Now pair the strips up into groups of two and sew together along the long edges. Press to one side when sewing is complete.
3. Cut all of your two strip units into 5" long segments.
4. After that you will match each 5" segment with a 5" segment made out of two different fabrics. Place these segments right sides together, nesting seams and sewing along both 4 1/2" sides.
5. Cut each segment in half, creating two four-patch blocks with each cut.
Press the four-patch blocks open, and you will have 36 four-patch blocks. Use 9 four-patch blocks for each placemat.
6. Sew into three rows, and then sew your rows together.You have now completed the center of your placemat. I really like this method for quickly making a scrappy "checkerboard."
7. Using one full Jelly Roll strip for each placemat, cut two pieces equal to the measurement of the left and right sides of your placemat (I measured down the middle and made both side strips this length).
8. Sandwich your placemat top, batting, and backing and quilt as desired. If you want to add ric rac, then position the ric rac over the seams between the side strips and the checkerboard middle and sew the ric rac onto the placemat.
9. Attach your binding and your placemats are done!
How much do you love Jelly Rolls?? Let us know your favorite jelly roll pattern, tip, trick, or project by Wednesday, June 29 to be entered to win a FREE jelly roll!
This free pattern comes to us from http://www.aquiltinglife.com/2009/03/moda-jelly-roll-placemat-tutorialand-15.html