Friday, June 1, 2012

Mail time, Demo Day, and French Seam Tutorial

I love getting mail that’s not bills and I especially love getting fabric.  This cute little bundle was waiting for me when I got home yesterday from Natalie at Craftin’ Mechanic. 


Thanks, Natalie!

Now I just have to decide what I want to do with it.  And check out Natalie’s t-shirt quilt she just finished up.  I just love the back of it!
Also come by the shop tomorrow for Demo Day.  Always in Stitches will be having a Demo Day the first Saturday of the month all summer.  I’ll be demonstrating these new binding rulers they picked up at Quilt Market.  I'll be there in the afternoon, but there will be all sorts of demos all day!

Now on to a little tutorial:  I just finished a cute vest which will soon become a tutorial but since it will be a long one I wanted to conquer the French seams I used first.
French seams are great way to make a garment look polished inside and out.  (Wow! Takes me back to those 4-H days!)  And here’s how you do it.
All of the seam allowances are 5/8”.  Put your wrong sides together and stitch a ¼” seam.
These are the right sides so basically the first step of a French seam is to do the opposite of what you would normally do.
Then turn your fabric so the right sides are together and the raw edge of the fabric is sandwiched between them.  Press.
This is the inside of the vest.  The raw edge is now sandwiched between the right sides.
Finally with the right sides still together stitch a 3/8” seam.  Turn press and as Linus would say, “Ta Da!”  The raw edge is completely hidden and the inside looks just as pretty and finished as the outside.

Kind of makes you curious about the rest of this project, right?  I guess I better get back to work then!
Happy sewing!
Tamara

No comments:

Post a Comment